Programs & Services
SAWA Implements its programs in rural and urban in collaborations with local government authorities and beneficiaries.
The main thrust of the organization is to support communities to have reliable access to clean and safe water within reduced distances. SAWA provides advisory and supervisory services for the construction of different types of water supply systems (e.g. wells, boreholes, piped and gravity schemes. Construction of water supply infrastructure (from water source development , storage and distribution) services
and rainwater harvesting systems). This includes planning, designing and construction of ground water, surface water and rainwater sources for different purposes e.g. domestic, irrigation, livestock and industrial use and technical management services of piped water schemes. The following services are offered under this category;
- Boreholes (Machine drilled medium and deep wells)
- Rain water harvesting facilities and systems
- Piped schemes (Pumped and gravity)
- Cattle troughs
- Water quality analysis
- Geotechnical and Hydro geological investigations
- Environmental impact assessments
- Mapping services and GPS surveys
- Installation of different pumps and power systems such as hand pumps windmills electrical pumps (i.e. submersible) and engine driven pumps (i.e. mono pumps).
- Conducting needs assessment and design of inclusive water schemes
- Source development ( borehole, water intake)
- Rain water
- Construction of distribution networks for piped and gravity schemes
- Construction of cattle troughs, storage facilities- underground and overhead tanks
- Conducting of geotechnical and hydrogeological survey
- Conducting GIS survey
Given the pressing need for capacity building of the stakeholders as well as private and public institutions, SAWA undertakes Consultancy services towards developing appropriate strategies for human resources development and organizational development in the Water and Environmental sanitation sectors. Training on different methodologies in the following areas is being offered;
- Institutional and organizational capacity building
- Technologies for water supplies and sanitation systems
- Construction methods and contractual procedures
- Contract preparation and supervision
- Finance and management of water supply systems.
- Formation and training of Water Users association/Water user groups
- Community management and social mobilization
- Adult learning techniques (participatory methods)
- Hand pump technology
- Ground water survey (hand auguring/ drilling)
- Rain water harvesting technology
- Construction of sanitary facilities
- Monitoring and Evaluation techniques
- Appropriate water and sanitary technology
- Hygiene and sanitation education
- User level operation and maintenance (ULOM) of water and sanitary facilities
- Soil and water conservation
- Water quality analysis.
- Facilitation of training of approaches ( CLTA, SWASH, WASH FIT).
- Facilitation of formation and training of CBWSO’s
- Training on Management of Water and Sanitation projects at community and institutional level (Finance, Operation and maintenance, technical sustainability).
Environmental Sanitation and Hygiene promotion.
Environmental sanitation and hygiene promotion are integral parts of the domestic water supply therefore a key focus areas of services provided by the organization. This involves planning, designing, construction of improved community and school based sanitation facilities (both household and public), piloting of affordable sanitation technologies and appropriate urban solid waste management. In terms of hygiene promotion the organization supports formation of hygiene promotion groups and provides support for demonstration of key hygiene promotion messages. The services provided under this category include;
SAWA PRODUCTS AND SERVICES
- Environmental Sanitation and Hygiene.
- Water SupplyManagement
- Models of water supply services
- Water resource management
- Institutional and community capacity building
- Designing affordable technologies for sanitation and water supply
- WASH intervation at school, health facilities and communities
- Building capacity on water supply management at community and entities
- Enterpreneurship in sanitation and hygiene
- Improve Livelihood activities for rural communities
- Action research issues used for advocacy and lobbying
- Sanitattion solution for urban settings i.e. sludge management and safe disposal
- Solid waste management
- Hygiene promotion (hand washing with soap, point of use water treatment etc.)
- Menstrual hygiene management (breaking the silence, safe use and disposal of sanitary).